Thanks in large part to the generosity of the Faulkner’s Light Brigade (FLB), the docks and landing area on Faulkner Island have been repaired. The Open House, hosted by FLB, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USF&WS) and the US Coast Guard (USCG) is scheduled for Saturday, September 8, and Sunday, September 9.
The USF&WS landing craft will ferry visitors to and from the island. The landing craft can accommodate 20 passengers plus crew. Visitors will be on the island for approximately 45 minutes. Five round trips are planned for Saturday and three for Sunday. Private boats will be permitted on Sunday only. Access to the basin is limited to the USF&WS landing craft, water taxi and the USCG. A water taxi will be available Sunday afternoon for those who need to anchor off from the west side of the island.
FLB completed a $121,000 restoration of the interior and exterior of the lighthouse in March 2010. The 1802 lighthouse is not only an aid to navigation but is also a local treasure. Donations, to help support the FLB mission of preserving the lighthouse, will be appreciated from all visitors. Twenty dollars is the recommended donation.
Reservations will be required for the ferry and will be accepted starting August 15. Reservations can be made through Marie Pohlman by email email@example.com or by phone 203-421-3123.
Open House Photo Contest
This year’s theme for pictures is to capture your day on Faulkner’s Island
The contest is open to all non professional shutter bugs 2 age groups, adults and children. For the purpose of this contest: Children’s age group is anyone 16 and under on the day of the event, September 8th, 2012. An adult photographer is anyone 17 and older
- The pictures could be submitted in digital or hard copy format, although digital is the preferred format
- Pictures must be taken on the two days of the event, (September 8th and 9th)
- Only one picture per person can be submitted
- All pictures must be received by midnight Sunday 9/23/12
- They can be emailed, or mailed to Faulkner’s Light Brigade PO Box 444, Guilford, CT 06437 email preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All pictures submitted would become the property of the FLB
- The judging will be done by members of the board and other professionals that we choose to assist in this process
- All decisions are final
- Prizes for first, second and third place together with honorable mentions that will be determined by the judges
- Prizes TBD
- By submitting a picture to the FLB, you understand and allow the FLB, to use the picture to promote the FLB as a non- profit group
- Pictures may be posted on the FLB website and used in FLB publications